Mama, Would It Have Been Better If You Were Here?


I'm a grown man now than I was when you left me. Yes, I did some foolish things throughout those times, things you warned me not to do. I've done some things that irritated Papa as well. I've been a poor model to my younger brothers. I remember Lolo hitting me hard with a slipper because of my stubborn attitude, and yes, I deserved it. Yet, I always find myself asking, “Would it have been better if you were here?”

I've also learned how to use my fingers to measure water when cooking rice. And, believe it or not, I once won a small lottery game in our hometown that you enjoyed playing. The process of determining the three winning numbers was extremely hilarious. I've also experienced heartbreak in romance; I wonder if you would have counseled me or laughed at my silly pursuits. I still remember how we used to ride in a jeepney while the rest of our family rode in an air-conditioned taxi because I get dizzy and vomit easily in those types of vehicles. But you'd be surprised to learn that I can now ride a taxi with ease. I can now endure those smells that used to make me giddy and uncomfortable. Yet, I always find myself asking, “Would it have been better if you were here?”

A caterpillar eventually transforms into a butterfly. A single ice cube melts into water as time passes by. But I'm not sure which of those two I should associate myself with. Should I go with the butterfly that appears to be undergoing positive transformation and change? Or the other, which became liquid water due to a lack of rigidity and stillness? It occurred to me that I was both.

“Would it have been better if you were here?”  Perhaps I should stop asking that silly question and start facing reality. But, then again, isn't asking that question part of the reality? Isn't wrestling with this concept a necessary part of my undeniable existence? It's there. I can't avoid it. It begs to be answered. How I wish more memories of our time together would just plague my being, but my mind is held back by the weakness of my childhood. But isn't remembering spare memories with you is just adding pain to the pain? All of this, however, led me to something else.

Mama, you were to me what Monica was to Augustine. As she prayed for the conversion of her wandering son, I'm certain, at one point in your life, you too did pray for the welfare of my soul. You presented the name of your son before the throne of grace in heaven. And the One seated there graciously answered your petitions. I wish I could have been there to hear it, I would have cried for sure. But crying is my long-time companion, Mama. Even the moment that I was brought forth in your womb, there I cried much already. Today, I'm still crying, and beyond any doubt, for the rest of my life.

I love to think that humans were truly made to cry. They were born to weep and long for something – and likewise, for someone.

“Parting is such sweet sorrow,”  Shakespeare said in one of his famous novels, “That I shall say good night till it be morrow.”  Indeed this whole thing was sweet sorrow, Mama. A sweet sorrow that must be accepted and endured.

It wasn't me, but it was you all along, Mama, who could rightly say, “It would have been better if you were here.”  Because there you are, enjoying the incomparable presence of our Savior, savoring the matchless sight of our Lord – the utmost and deep longing of my soul.

Mama, I'm looking forward to that day when we'll finally be reunited in eternity. Not to talk or reminisce about our experiences during our pilgrimage in this world. They hardly matter there for sure. But in praising and worshipping Him who lived a perfect life and was crucified at Calvary's cross and died for us both — our Lord & Friend, Jesus Christ.

“There we shall rest and see, see and love, love and praise,” said Augustine, “This is what shall be in the end without end.”

Until then, my dear Mama.

Loving you forever, 

Joshua

Comments

  1. Grabe maka-nostalgic, kuya. This writing makes me miss my mom more too. 🥺🥺

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’ll see her someday for sure. The resurrection of Christ guarantees that. Thanks for reading, Niña!

      Delete
  2. Ang ganda, bro.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We, who still have our moms around need to not take her for granted! Thank you for reminding us!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I concur with all my heart to that. Thanks for reading, Micki!

      Delete
  4. I can very much relate. Mum's passing was just 3months ago and I still find myself crying at night.

    But believing in Christ is grieving differently. Sorrow and hope intertwined.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I’m so sorry for your loss. It is okay to cry and mourn. They must be.

      Yes, in Christ we are sorrowful yet ever hoping and rejoicing. Thanks for reading, Dixie!

      Delete
  5. Thank you. It left me in tears and reminded me to cherish my Mama while the Lord allows me to be her. Lord-willing she and Papa may be saved too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Take comfort that God is not only sovereign over the salvation of His people, He’s also good, righteous, and just. Thank you so much for reading!

      Delete
  6. I feel the pain of losing a mother --- a lot of question to ask and a wishlist to have spent times and listened to her when she was alive ... those were disturbing me too when my mother left us. And in some point, made me wander and astray along the way to acceptance. And this blog puts closure to a scar and gives hope to live to be better and to spend more time on those present with me today and to do God's will and mission here coz the reward is up there.

    Anyhow, i was one of those who have seen and known parts of your struggle. Knowing this realization and development in you makes me feel utlimately in joy that you find strength to the One whom your mother instilled in you even up to her last days. Just continue to be a light to your siblings and to the ministry you are into and i am blessed to know that you are more than blessed growing in our Creator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This message is so heartwarming. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words, ate Mariter! God bless you and your family.

      Delete
  7. This made me cry; your writing skills are amazing. I'm still extremely blessed to have my mother around; she's the sweetest, my best friend, my spiritual mentor, and I couldn't even sleep without telling her "I love you" every night. It sometimes scares me to think that we will have to part ways. But every time we talk, her words and character point me to Christ, and it makes me even more grateful for what Christ has done for me, and that it is He who loves me the most. Glory to our good good Lord. Clearly, I do not deserve the salvation He has provided for me through His righteousness. It's the best gift I've ever received, and moreover He gave me my mother. This is grace above and beyond grace!
    Thanks for taking the time to write this. Good night kuyaa joshy. God bless youuuuu. I hope oks na kaw.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing those worth pondering words with regards to your mother. Indeed it is all of grace alone. I hope all is well with you too. And thank you also for reading and stopping by!

      Delete
  8. Almost 11 months now since her passing, but still the same question resonates day by day. Thank you for this brother, tho I'm welling up with tears. Indeed, what blessed hope we have in Christ. Can't wait 'til I could worship with her before the very presence of the Most High.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading! May the Father of all comforts be your comfort throughout the hard days ahead.

      Delete
  9. Nindot kaayo. :( Salamat sa pag sulat ani, Josh. Dulot sa kasing-kasing. Padayon og sulat; ga hatag ni og himaya sa Ginoo. Mag atang rami sa sunod na mga entry.

    Ganahan ko ani, murag quote sa salida haha:
    "I love to think that humans were truly made to cry. They were born to weep and long for something – and likewise, for someone."

    Hay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Jan! Thank you so much for your encouraging words. May the Lord indeed be glorified in all these things!

      Delete
  10. Death is real. My pastor asked me once "What will happened to me if I lost my mom.?" My silence from utterance of words spoke before my mind "I will be alone and lonely". But hoping God processing my heart to overcome those anticipating pain��

    ReplyDelete
  11. December 10 is our MaDear's birthday, same day as you published this. We miss her always. Until then, to our dear MaDears.
    Thank you for this 😊

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to read. The Lord bless you!

Popular Posts